image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

So… The stairs to the basement were pretty rickety, and just generally gave you that unsettled, “yeah, this might be it” kind of feeling – everytime you went to get the laundry. So I started with removal of the treads and rizers only to find about 47 other random bits of wood that were clearly from 100 years of crappy patch jobs. THEN Mike & I decided to deinstall the floating stringer as well, which found us another set of 74 random bits of wood, and what seemed to be the first anti-gravity stronger known to mankind! Aside from all the patchwork fixes and two (2) nails going UP, neither of us has any idea how this thing was originally supported.

So, anyways, a trip to The Loading Dock had yielded 3 2x10x10′ and 3 2x12x10′ from which mike and I fashioned a stringer brace with which to sister the original stringer, and all the treads. The rizers I cut out of scrap 1/2 inch white faced mdo I keep around, although I will need a few more to finish up. Also two ‘teeth’ on the wall side stringer needed to be amputated & replaced, while about 6 of the floating side were already broken off – but poorly mended- and needed reinstallation.

So once the old and new stringer sandwhich was cemented with about 50, 2.5″ exterior grade screws, it was hefted into place and the measure-cut process of tread & rizer fab began.

Currently the treads just need mounting and the last few risers need making and that’s it! Course, a finish might be nice, but for now, Heid & I really like the wood/white/wood interplay as they are!