Here is collection of various tests and idears I’ve had both across it’s three predecessors and amidst my various CnC explorations. It’s not a final design by any means, but as a culmination of solutions, it’s got potential.

All the female & hog out cuts first.

One of my recent epiphanies in CnC building was the use of what i call a bridge, as it’s a tertiary element that allows two non-perpendicular planes to join. I didn’t invent it for sure, but it is key if you have a flat seat but splayed legs, or vertical legs with a faceted seat design.

Once the hogs are done, the male cuts on the frame rails were next, along with the parallel kerf cuts, visible at the back of the shot.

In this case, i would be testing suspended but bent-on-the-fly planes; above you can see where all the female mount points are that run the length of the side rails. To the right corner are the hog outs to leave a male joint portion of the legs.

To get the joints for the legs, you need to hog them from the other side. You acheive this by flipping the legs over and carefully drop them back into their partners hole, assuming you have two mirrored objects. If the shape is asymmetrical this only works if you are making two mirrored objects at the exact same time.

I took my time to center them and then tape them down to help immobilize. Because my CNC has a vacuum table, the tape helped create an air seal as well.

One of the things i learned from the previous prototypes was how costly keeping legs & frame rails as one piece was, space and thus material wise; below is almost 6 feet of material dedicated to rails alone.

All six of the test frame rails for Proto’s 1, 2 & 3 routed whole, save for one rail, which i could not for the life of me get to nest, so i had to break it into two, and joined it simply with a puzzle fit – visible top left.

If i wanted my design to be more material effective, this meant i needed the design to allow for separate legs, which would require a joint; while mostly hidden i saw the need for the design to be exceptional. I half seriously call my shop “Evergreen Wood Works” as we are located on Evergreen Avenue. I had previously designed a logo for a street-wide community event based on an evergreen icon, so this seemed like a good fit – with a little adaptation, this ended up working quite nicely, and i am hoping to continue to use this as my primary joint for on-plane attachment. (I also echoed the joint shape with  an engraving in the top left corner of the shoulder rest.)

Finally, all the cuts were done, and not a spot to spare; its sort of hard to see, but the scrap i had was 48 x 47, and every side hat cuts within maybe a half inch of the side.

Next Up: Assembly!