“The requirements for applicants are high. Rhodes’ legacy specified four standards by which applicants were to be judged:
* literary and scholastic attainments;
* energy to use one’s talents to the full, as exemplified by fondness for and success in sports;
* truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship;
* moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
This legacy originally provided for scholarships for the British colonies, the United States, and Germany. These three were chosen so that “an understanding between the three great powers will render war impossible.”
- from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodes_Scholarship
i like the last reference to germany, england and the US as the great powers…
(pictured: the rhodes house in oxford,uk)
September 30th, 2006
California Vehicle Code, Department of Motor Vehicles:
21201. (a) No person shall operate a bicycle on a roadway unless it is equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make one braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
September 25th, 2006
” Ive’s team understands and respects this process of production so much that toolmakers and suppliers in Asia prefer working with them — despite the fact that Apple is a ferocious negotiator on cost. Suppliers get a jump on the future by working with Apple, since it is setting the design pace.
- On Jonathan Ive and the Apple creative process, from http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_39/b4002414.htm
September 20th, 2006